If you are short of time to explore this innocently sweet city, here is the A-list of the best places to travel.
- Toshogu Shrine – Lavish mausoleum of Tokugawa Ieyasu.
- Taiyuinbyo – Mausoleum of Iemitsu, Ieyasu’s grandson.
- Rinnoji Temple – Nikko’s most important temple.
- Lake Chuzenji – Lake at the foot of Mount Nantai.
- Yumoto Onsen – Hot spring resort in the national park.
- Futarasan Shrine – Dedicated to Nikko’s sacred mountains.
Futarasan Shrine, Nikko, Japan
Nikko Toshogu Three Wise Monkeys who hear, speak and see no evil, a traditional symbol in Chinese and Japanese culture.
Ryuzu Falls, one of Japan's most photographed koyo spots at Nikko National Park
Sake barrels at Nikko Toshogu shrine
The bounty of Lake Chuzenji, Nikko, Japan
The carving of the sleepy cat above the NikkoToshogu Sakshita Gate is an attribution to Hidari Jingoro
The magnificence of Yomeimon Gate, Nikko Toshogu
Visitors are approaching Sanbutsudo of the Rinnoji Temple of Nikko, Japan
Yumoto Onsen - natural hot spring at nikko, Japan